The City of Coventry is a place of sharp contrast, in which both the
modern and traditional context plays a role in the image of the city.
As a city Coventry first appeared in official documents 1300 years ago.
Queen Boudicca passed through the city while in flight from the Romans
after a failed rebellion.
In the 8th century Christianity arrived in the city in the form of a nun,
who was known for her piety. She was made a saint before she died in 740.
In 1066, the Danes arrived and destroyed her nunnery, which King Chanute
restored on ascension to the throne of England, after sacking the city.
In 1022 the nunnery hadreceived a relic from Chanute, the arm of St Augustine
of Hippo, which he purchased while on a pilgrimage to Rome.